Monday, September 19, 2011

BLACK EYED PEA SOUP

A few months ago I was at a local restaurant and one of their special was a Black Eyed Pea Soup. It was so good. That is why i decided to try my hand at making my own version of the same soup.

This is my only picture I made. It of course shows what we had for supper tonight - the soup, grilled boneless pork chops and mashed potatoes. I was not sure the soup would be good, when it turned out delish I knew I would have to share it. 

Ingredients
1 lb dry black eyed peas, sort and rinse
1 small onion, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 can diced tomatoes with chilies and onions (Rotel tomatoes)
2 cans broth, your choice, I used beef
2 T cumin
1 tsp all purpose seasoning (I use Miss Sassy's)
salt and pepper to taste
1 T EVOO

Heat a skillet with EVOO over medium heat. Once hot add diced onions and peppers, cook until just tender but not done. Put rinsed and sorted peas in a large (at least 8 qt) stock pot with a lid. Add the onions and pepper, tomatoes and 2 cans of broth (you can use any broth beef, chicken, vegetable). Fill the pot the rest of the way with water to almost 3/4 full. Bring to a rolling boil and then reduce heat to medium low and simmer until peas are tender. Once peas are tender reduce heat to low and add seasonings. Simmer on low until ready to eat, but at least 20 minutes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment