Thursday, September 15, 2011

FROZEN YOGURT SHAKES

Looks like I am sharing 2 recipes tonight. I have been craving a milk shake lately so I decided to make my own. It's not something I would eat every night or every other night. This is a treat to have once in a while...moderation is key.


You can take this same recipe and make almost any flavor shake you might be craving. Tonight we had peanut butter. Next time I might go for peach....I was good this summer and did not once go to Chick-fil-a for a peach milk shake. But I am still craving one.

Here is how I made the shakes tonight.

Using my GE Rocket

Ingredients
3 scoops Ice cream or Froyo (frozen yogurt)
1/2 - 3/4 c Soy milk or skim milk (depends how thick you want it)
1 T (heaping) peanut butter - wish I had some healthier peanut butter, but we had several big jars of Peter Pan when we started dieting...we need to get rid of them and then worry about some good natural peanut butter - preferably the no stir kind.
I used yogurt tonight, if you use ice cream check the label - get something lower in fat and calories - the slow churn ice creams often have less than ones sold as low fat or light. My vanilla froyo above only has 90 calories for a 1/2 c serving - yes that is a small serving, but you don't need a lot for a shake.


I don't really measure since I use the cups that go with my blender, so the measurements are a guess-timate. And I do make the shakes a little thin/runny I would prefer them thick, but that means using more higher fat items. I filled my cup about halfway to the fill line with Silk, then put in about 3 scoops froyo and 1 heaping Tbs of peanut butter and blended until smooth. Putting the milk in first will help it blend, if you put the froyo in first it tends to stick to the bottom, which becomes the top when inverted to blend.
I wanted just plan old peanut butter milk shake so i used the vanilla froyo, my parents wanted the chocolate froyo.
Next time I try this, I think I might get peach froyo and add some frozen peaches to it.

Blogging and enjoying my treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment