Tuesday, September 13, 2011

EASY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE


OK this is my first recipe I am sharing. With this recipe I am taking one I found and changing it to reduce the fat and calories. I wish I was smart enough to give you the originals fat and calories compared to the new version, but sadly I cannot. When I do recipes like this I plan to offer you the original recipe and then give my version showing the way I lightened it up.
The Casserole

Original Recipe:
6 slices white bread, coarsely torn or cut into 1 inch chunks
1 lb bulk sausage, cooked, drained
1 c Kraft Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
6 eggs
2 c milk
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking pan or oven proof casserole. Place bread in bottom of pan, sprinkle with sausage and cheese. Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper in medium bowl with wire whisk. Pour over bread mixture in pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until mixture is set in center and lightly browned. 
Makes 8 servings.

In case you are wondering the little strawberry dish is where I keep my kosher salt, which is what I prefer to cook with. 

My Lighter Version
6 slices whole wheat bread, coarsely torn or cut into 1 inch chunks (45 calories per slice or less)
1 lb turkey breakfast sausage, cooked, drained
1 c Kraft Shredded 2% Sharp Cheddar Cheese
6 eggs
2 c skim milk
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan or oven proof casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place bread in bottom of pan, sprinkle with sausage and cheese. Season the casserole with salt and pepper. Beat eggs and milk in a medium mixing bowl with wire whisk. Pour over bread mixture in pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until mixture is set in center and lightly browned. 
Makes 8 servings.

As you can see the simple changes I made to lighten it up were to change the bread to a whole wheat or whole grain bread, the sausage to turkey instead of pork, the cheese to lower fat 2% and instead of greasing the casserole dish I sprayed it lightly with cooking spray. I also did not put the salt and pepper in the eggs. I never understand recipes that tell you to season eggs when you beat them. What happens to the salt and pepper after you stop whisking? It settles in the bottom of the bowl and when you pour it over your casserole you end up with all the seasoning in 1 spot. So I sprinkled my salt and cracked pepper over the surface of the dish and then carefully poured the egg mixture over it.  

I always have to alter a recipe to my liking with this recipe I added about 1/2 c each of finely diced vidalia onion and fresh mushrooms. I put about 1T of EVOO in a hot skillet and cooked the onions and mushrooms half way before adding the sausage to brown.


Other additions you might try - bell pepper, spinach, asparagus, tomato, other lean meats such as turkey bacon or Canadian bacon. Another idea just came to me, replace the bread with about 2 cups of shredded potato (or even sweet potato) and make it a breakfast hash casserole. I would probably still have the onions and mushrooms in it myself so I would cook the potatoes with those and get them about half done before baking.
The sky is the limit so experiment with the recipes you find.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment